commons-dev mailing list archives

From Brad Neuberg <b...@columbia.edu>
Subject RE: [feedparser] Getting Brad Neuberg CVS commit
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 16:37:01 GMT
Hi folks.  Thanks for all the feedback.  One thing is I've been hired by
Kevin at his startup company, Rojo, and one of my main full-time
responsibilities is to help maintain and improve the Jakarta Feed
Parser.  I'll continue posting all of my patches here.  One of the issues
is that the quantity and size of my patches is increasing, such as one I am
going to land this morning; it is getting difficult for Kevin to hand apply
all of the patches since he is quite busy with getting other parts of Rojo
going.  This was starting to affect my work since I was waiting for him to
apply some patches before moving on to the next ones, but it was taking him
awhile to do so because of his work load.  I understand, though, that the
Apache Jakarta community has its own process that I must respect.

At 01:54 AM 10/21/2004, you wrote:
>I know it feels like a chicken and an egg sort of problem...  One of the
>historical aspects of commons is that half the code came from other
>projects, and half started from scratch.  At least for the code that came
>from other projects meant that they already had committers involved,
>facilitating access.  And those started from scratch where started by people
>involved in Commons already.
>
>I always recommend that someone pick up one or two projects to be involved
>with.  That way, as traction is lost on one, progress can be made on the
>other, and you don't get too siloed...
>
>I am sure that with a periond of involvement the demonstrates his abilities
>and that he gets the "Apache Way" that he will gain access.  We just all
>need to get to know him!
>
>Eric

Brad Neuberg, bkn3@columbia.edu
Senior Software Engineer, Rojo Networks
Weblog: http://www.codinginparadise.org

Check out Rojo, an RSS and Atom news aggregator that I work on.  Visit
http://rojo.com for more info. Feel free to ask me for an invite!

Rojo is Hiring!  If you're interested in RSS, Weblogs, Social Networking,
Java, Open Source, etc... then come work with us at Rojo.  If you recommend
someone and we hire them you'll get a free iPod!  See
http://www.rojonetworks.com/JobsAtRojo.html.