commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Kevin A. Burton" <bur...@newsmonster.org>
Subject Re: [feedparser] Getting Brad Neuberg CVS commit
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:00:56 GMT
Craig McClanahan wrote:

>On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 17:14:33 -0700, Kevin A. Burton
><burton@newsmonster.org> wrote:
>

>>Brad is working full time on feedparser and you're essentially telling
>>him he can't get CVS access until its 1.0. How are we supposed to GET it
>>to 1.0 it he can't get CVS access?
>>

>That's certainly not clear from the email history.  For example, you
>could help this cause a lot if you mentioned (in your CVS commit
>messages) which one were applied because Brad did them instead of you.
> Nobody can tell that he did *any* of the work.

I've documented the patches Brad has given me in everyone of my commits.
Sorry if it wasn't in the email...

>>Do you see the problem here?
>>
>>I think the issue is that right now for the jakarta sandbox if you give
>>Brad access then you're giving him access to a number of other projects.
>>He doesn't want access to other projects he just wants access to FeedParser.
>>

>The deeper issue is that you seem to expect Apache to work like
>SourceForge, which it doesn't.  Committer access is earned (based on
>demonstrated contributions), not requested -- and it's voted on by
>other committers (in this particular case, those who commit to Jakarta
>Commons projects), not granted to non-current-committers simply
>because of asking.

Brad is one of the lead developers on the FeedParser. Its a NEW project
and we're both working on it.

FeedParser is a contribution from Rojo and we're both working on it
here! Its very difficult for us to make forward progress if I can't give
a lead developer CVS commit.

>The fact that jakarta-commons-sandbox is all under the control of a
>single set of karma is an unfortunate fact of our current CVS
>implementation, but it makes absolutely no difference to the case.

When a new projects is created are you telling me that you don't give
CVS commit to the lead developers? How would IBM feel if when they
contributed Xerces that you wouldn't give their lead engineers access to
CVS?

>Any prospective Commons committer who couldn't be trusted to play by
>the rules shouldn't be a committer on *any* Apache project.  On the
>other hand, granting sandbox-wide or commons-wide (which happens when
>sandbox projects get promoted) karma is a key tool in increasing the
>community of active developers on individual packages, because it
>reduces the barrier to jump in and help.

Listen... I'm sorry if we're trying to move too fast. We're a startup
and on a very aggressive schedule. We're trying to get FeedParser to 1.0
ASAP because its a critical portion of Rojo. Brad is a lead developer
and its becoming difficult to synchronize our work without CVS commits.
We're constantly having to coordinate our commits due to CVS
limitations. If we were using a more anarchic revision control system
like bitkeeper or arch this wouldn't be as much of a problem.

get a free iPod!