commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] Matrix subMatrix and mean methods
Date Sat, 09 Oct 2004 02:07:10 GMT

Al Chou wrote:

> I agree we should not be releasing Apache versions of the whole Colt library
> (which technically wouldn't even be possible, as the hep.aida.* packages are
> LGPL'd, not under the the new CERN license).  In any case, the question of the
> scope of Commons-Math continually comes up, and the merging in of Colt is yet
> another impetus for discussing it.  If we were to include large portions or all
> of the CERN-licensed code of Colt, we would be in a position to claim a much
> larger scope/charter for the project.  But would we want to?  Some project
> members seem very interested in doing so (and I am certainly guilty of such
> thoughts), but I don't think it necessarily makes sense.  Commons-Math's
> charter is a sound one, and I would not want to alienate/inconvenience users
> whose needs are well met by its current scope and charter (assuming there are
> any such) by increasing it unnecessarily.  A separate project would probably be
> more appropriate if we wanted a larger scope.
>

> Al

Al,

I really agree that "merging" or adding much of the code from Colt can
result in a project outside the scope of Commons Math. (Not that this
can't stop us from using portions of it within Commons Math initially,
which I promote). I really perceive the need for a parent project that
manages numerical and mathematical codebases that are considered to be
outside the scope of Commons Math.

I agree that there are concerns with the hep LGPL packages and suspect
they would not be allowed into Apache due to these concerns.

-Mark
--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer