commons-dev mailing list archives

From Ricardo Gladwell <ricardo.gladw...@btinternet.com>
Subject Re: Licensing
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 14:58:26 GMT
Henning P. Schmiedehausen wrote:
> Henri Yandell <flamefew@gmail.com> writes:
> IMHO, it is a real "must read" for everyone that writes and especially
> uses open source. Funnily enough, many of the points that she raises
> don't apply to the ASF.

Hmm... I might disagree with that one. For example, I don't know many
newbie users who could single-handedly set-up and configure the Apache
web server with Tomcat without encountering a few problems. Also, some
ASF projects have very skimpy documentation in places.

> "Fighting for one's political stand is an honorable action, but re-
>  fusing to acknowledge that there might be weaknesses in one's
>  position - in order to identify them so that they can be remedied -
>  is a large enough problem with the Open Source movement that it
>  deserves to be on this list of the top five problems."
>                        -- Michelle Levesque, "Fundamental Issues with
>                                     Open Source Software Development"

I have heard an interesting theory behind this: that the technical
affinity shared by geeks and open-source advocates across the world is
actually a form of mild autism, passed down the male line. Anecdotally,
on my father's side many of my uncles are engineers, and my grandfather
was an engineer (who, interestingly, claims to have invented the flip
chart which he failed to patent) - the geek old guard. And, in this
generation, most of my male cousins are working in the IT industry as
programmers and system administrators - the new geeks.

Anyway, my point is that it would also seem that, along with poor social
skills and shyness, a form bi-polar fanaticism seems to come with this
"techno-autism". The constant "them or us" attitude one sees on forums
such as /. seem to be near universal constant.

I mention it only for interests sake. :)

Kind regards,
-- Ricardo