commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [math] Matrix subMatrix and mean methods
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 04:01:04 GMT
Hi Brian,

After being reminded by Wolfgang that he had previously given me a
contact at CERN to discuss these issues with, I emailed that contact. He
forwarded me to the Technology Transfer officer for CERN. I just
finished emailing a request to that individual to comment on the
position CERN holds on this subject of relicensing/donation. Once we
hear back from them we can also include this information into the
discussion. I expect it will clarify if any opposition does exist at the
original institution.

Cheers,
Mark

Brian Behlendorf wrote:

> Thanks, Wolfgang.  This is a pretty easy case for us - as it sits today,
> especially with this email note from Wolfgang (which should be included
> in a NOTES file sitting near colt.jar when imported) it looks perfectly
> fine to incorporate this into Apache, preserving CERN's copyright
> notice. From a policy perspective, we should commit to the repository
> not just the .jar file but the source code as well.
>
> Any patches that Apache developers need to make should be offered
> upstream, of course, and then reincorporated into the ASF repository by
> merging in a new version.  But if we need to locally modify the work,
> then the copyright on the resulting derivative work would be (C) Apache
> Software Foundation and the Apache 2.0 license, being careful not to
> remove the original (C) CERN or license/notice.
>
>     Brian
>
> On Tue, 5 Oct 2004, Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:
>
>> Hi, let me briefly introduce myself. I'm the author of Colt which has
>> the BSD-style license you referred to below.
>>
>> I encourage you to take code or ideas from Colt, as you see fit, and
>> as you see compatible with Apache licensing policy.
>> I wrote this code some six years ago while working at CERN, so the
>> copyright is not with me personally, but with CERN
>> (http://www.cern.ch). I have left CERN some years ago to work for a
>> Bay Area research lab, so I consider it unlikely that the license
>> could be changed, and I'm not in a position to help change the
>> license, even though I would support such a license change. In my
>> judgement, you will have to decide if the current license works for
>> you, or not. If it works for you, you are most welcome.
>>
>> As far as Jama is concerned, the code is a straightforward adaption of
>> the original Jama code, as explained on
>> http://dsd.lbl.gov/~hoschek/colt/api/cern/colt/matrix/linalg/package-
>> summary.html#Overview
>> You could contact the Jama authors for licensing issues.
>>
>> Hope this helps,
>> Wolfgang.
>>
>>> I am posting this to the Licensing list as well because it is very
>>> unclear how to proceed and we dearly need their advice on this
>>> subject. Licensing, the issue has to do with policy for adding code
>>> from a external project, which the author has approved our usage of
>>> via email.
>>>
>>> http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=28596#137409
>>> /www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg48417.html
>>>
>>> We would like to add certain fragments of the "Colt" API which is
>>> licensed under a BSD style licensing.
>>>
>>> http://dsd.lbl.gov/~hoschek/colt/license.html
>>>
>>> How do we properly proceed?

>>> I think we should clarify our own position given his approval.
>>>
>>> 1.) I think the appropriate path is to discuss with Wolfgang and our
>>> Licensing list what is required to meet any ASF requirements that may
>>> exist. Licensing needs to clarify how we should proceed.
>>>
>>> The challenge is what to do about any ASF polices concerning
> [...]

Mark Diggory
Open Source Software Developer
Apache Jakarta Project
http://jakarta.apache.org