commons-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Bourg <sma...@lfjr.net>
Subject Re: [configuration] handling exceptions in AbstractConfiguration implementations
Date Wed, 06 Oct 2004 22:39:53 GMT
Eric Pugh wrote:

> This is really driving me crazy..  I have tracked threads on general and
> jakarta-pmc mailing lists about this..  And everytime it comes down to "I am
> not a lawyer" and a bunch of FUD.  We really need someone from the top of
> Apache to provide direction.  I work a lot with hibernate code and can think
> of at least 4 projects that have hibernate code in them (at least as far as
> import statements).

 From a technical/legal point of view there is no reason to avoid a
dependency on a LGPLed component in an Apache project, the license FAQ
on Hibernate is pretty clear:

"The use of the unmodified Hibernate binary of course never affects the
license of your application or distribution.

If you modify Hibernate and redistribute your modifications, the LGPL
applies."

Excluding LGPLed projects is just a political decision imho.

Emmanuel Bourg