commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Sean Schofield" <sean_schofi...@schof.com>
Subject Re: [chain] New interface: CatalogFactory
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 20:27:09 GMT
Craig,

>I should have checked on the line endings before committing ... was it
>built on a Windows system with CR-LF?  I checked it in on Unix.

I'm developing on a Windows machine.  I think my IDE is adding Windows
line feed by default but preserves the end of line used by existing
files (which would explain why I don't have problems with patches.)

>I'll apply the patch tonight, when I can reach the repository without
>my friendly corporate firewall in the way.

Thanks.  I have the same problem here with CVS and subversion.  I can't
even checkout or do updates which sucks.

>* Leverage the fact that each web application has a unique class loader
>  that can then be used as a map key to disambiguate the default catalog.
>  The container guarantees to set up something called the "thread context
>  class loader" before calling any code inside the webapp, so your getInstance()
>  method could retrieve it like this:
>
>    ClassLoader cl = Thread.currentThread().getContextClassLoader();
>
>  and use it as the key to a Map that contains the actual catalogs for that
>  webapp.  The biggest problem with this approach is cleaning up when
>  the application is undeployed or reloaded ... you'll want something like a
>  ServletContextListener whose contextDestroyed() method can call a
>  cleanup to release all the catalogs for that webapp.
>
>  NOTE:  Commons Logging uses techniques like this.

I think I will go with this approach.  What is the need for
ServletContextListener?  Is this so that the resources associated with
the Catalog for a web application can be "released" after the
application is stopped?

I was wondering if you think there is significant harm associated with
not doing this?  Also, I take it that this is not an issue once you
restart the server.

Finally, while I like the idea of the ServletContextListener for clean
up, it seems like there is no way other than documentation to make sure
the cleanup takes place (since the listener needs to be deployed via the
web.xml file.)  Should I provide an implementation of the
ServletContextListener as well for users to use for cleanup?

sean