commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [math] Matrix subMatrix and mean methods
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 19:25:03 GMT
Hello Wolfgang,

You jogged my memory concerning our discussion on this subject some time
ago. You had given me a contact (James Casey) at CERN to discuss this
subject further and I think the subject slipped off the radar at that
point. Here was that old thread. I've cc'd him on this message to
re-initialize discussion.

-Mark

Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:
> Hi, let me briefly introduce myself. I'm the author of Colt which has
> the BSD-style license you referred to below.
>
> I encourage you to take code or ideas from Colt, as you see fit, and as
> you see compatible with Apache licensing policy.
> I wrote this code some six years ago while working at CERN, so the
> copyright is not with me personally, but with CERN
> (http://www.cern.ch). I have left CERN some years ago to work for a Bay
> Area research lab, so I consider it unlikely that the license could be
> changed, and I'm not in a position to help change the license, even
> though I would support such a license change. In my judgement, you will
> have to decide if the current license works for you, or not. If it
> works for you, you are most welcome.
>
> As far as Jama is concerned, the code is a straightforward adaption of
> the original Jama code, as explained on
> http://dsd.lbl.gov/~hoschek/colt/api/cern/colt/matrix/linalg/package-
> summary.html#Overview
> You could contact the Jama authors for licensing issues.
>
> Hope this helps,
> Wolfgang.
>
>> I am posting this to the Licensing list as well because it is very
>> unclear how to proceed and we dearly need their advice on this
>> subject. Licensing, the issue has to do with policy for adding code
>> from a external project, which the author has approved our usage of
>> via email.
>>
>> http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=28596#137409
>> /www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg48417.html
>>
>> We would like to add certain fragments of the "Colt" API which is
>> licensed under a BSD style licensing.
>>
>> http://dsd.lbl.gov/~hoschek/colt/license.html
>>
>> How do we properly proceed?
>>
>> Al Chou wrote:
>>
>>> Colt contains a port of much of JAMA, IIRC, and as Wolfgang posted
>>> not too long
>>> ago, Colt's new license is much more compatible with the Apache
>>> license.  I'm
>>> not sure if it's sufficiently compatible for us to start merging in
>>> code,
>>> though.
>>> Al
>>

>> I think we should clarify our own position given his approval.
>>
>> 1.) I think the appropriate path is to discuss with Wolfgang and our
>> Licensing list what is required to meet any ASF requirements that may
>> exist. Licensing needs to clarify how we should proceed.
>>
>> The challenge is what to do about any ASF polices concerning
>> licensing  adjustments, for which none of us are "knowledgeable".
>>
>> 2.) I think this is a exception to our policy of acknowledging
>> authorship in the project documentation and not in the code. In this
>> case I think we should attempt to maintain significant references to
>> his project as the original source of any codebase additions added to
>> the Commons math API.
>>
>> 3.) If ASF requires more stringent approval in writing, we request
>> more formally to have Wolfgang fax in some sort of donation form to  ASF.
>>
>> -Mark
>>
>> --
>> Mark Diggory
>> Software Developer