commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] Matrix subMatrix and mean methods
Date Tue, 05 Oct 2004 17:01:01 GMT
I am posting this to the Licensing list as well because it is very
unclear how to proceed and we dearly need their advice on this subject.
Licensing, the issue has to do with policy for adding code from a
external project, which the author has approved our usage of via email.

http://www.theserverside.com/news/thread.tss?thread_id=28596#137409
/www.mail-archive.com/commons-dev@jakarta.apache.org/msg48417.html

We would like to add certain fragments of the "Colt" API which is
licensed under a BSD style licensing.

http://dsd.lbl.gov/~hoschek/colt/license.html

How do we properly proceed?

Al Chou wrote:

> Colt contains a port of much of JAMA, IIRC, and as Wolfgang posted not too long
> ago, Colt's new license is much more compatible with the Apache license.  I'm
> not sure if it's sufficiently compatible for us to start merging in code,
> though.
>

> Al

I think we should clarify our own position given his approval.

1.) I think the appropriate path is to discuss with Wolfgang and our
Licensing list what is required to meet any ASF requirements that may
exist. Licensing needs to clarify how we should proceed.

The challenge is what to do about any ASF polices concerning licensing
adjustments, for which none of us are "knowledgeable".

2.) I think this is a exception to our policy of acknowledging
authorship in the project documentation and not in the code. In this
case I think we should attempt to maintain significant references to his
project as the original source of any codebase additions added to the
Commons math API.

3.) If ASF requires more stringent approval in writing, we request more
formally to have Wolfgang fax in some sort of donation form to ASF.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer