commons-dev mailing list archives

From Kim van der Linde <...@kimvdlinde.com>
Subject [math] Matrix subMatrix and mean methods
Date Sun, 03 Oct 2004 02:57:16 GMT
Hi Phil,

I have been thinking for a few days on the Matrix classes.

I think the Matrix class itself should contain all those methods that do
matrix calculations (add, subtract, multiply) that either a Matrix
themselfs or proporties of the Matrix (isSingular for example). The mean
methods (getRowMeans) etc are statistics done ON a matrix, and I think
they should be in a seperate class, maybe called MatrixStats. This
enables aso he option to add variances and SD's which are needed for
column mean resp mean-SD standardizations, to be used for example in PCA
calculations when a covariance resp. correlation matrix is used.

Is there the intention to add an EigenvalueDecomposition class to the
package? In that case, which algorithm is targeted to be used? Jacobi?

Cheers,

Kim
--
http://www.kimvdlinde.com