commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <flame...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Licensing
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:23:22 GMT
On Thu, 07 Oct 2004 16:19:36 +0200, Emmanuel Bourg <smanux@lfjr.net> wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> > Now we're onto the IANAL stuff and ponderings on how to get such
> > suggestions to a lawyer without it turning into an expensive 2 week
> > Q&A. Can Promissory Estoppel (whatever that is) be given just on a
> > website etc.
> >
> > For example, I'd love to see an ASF lawyer come up with a concise
> > 'footnote' to the LGPL that we could ask Java LGPL users to add to
> > their licences. Or just a 'promissory estoppel' that could be placed
> > there.
>
> That's a good idea, how do we contact the ASF lawyers ?

With difficulty. Eavesdropping on the board list, they are working on
ways to get a better line of communication to the legal team (and
getting a more defined legal team). There are some number of pro-bono
hours per month, but these are easy to use up I think.

My plan for this issue is:

1) Identify the current situation to get away from the "Can I use
project X which is under LGPL" questions. See
http://wiki.apache.org/jakarta/LicenceIssues.

2) Ensure the Jakarta cvs repository is clean in regards to said issues.

3) Collate ideas for work-arounds. Plugin-architecture; footnotes to LGPL etc.

4) Any work-arounds that seem good would then be put on a request for
the board to consider.

Hen