commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Gary Gregory" <ggreg...@seagullsoftware.com>
Subject RE: [lang] Code clean up of "return (value);"?
Date Sat, 09 Oct 2004 20:01:26 GMT
> I always tend to have the extra brackets in return statements for
> expressions. It just clarifies the look for me.

I guess I cannot argue on personal preferences; we all like a different
dose of syntactic sugar ;-)

> I don't believe we should change existing code, just let each class
evolve
> according to each developer. The only time we should change formatting
is
> if
> the current code is way far from out standards.

An issue, I think, is that the evolution one way or another has to be
somewhat consistent and the use of "return e;" vs. "return (e);" is not
consistent even within single classes.

For example, you'll find plenty of classes (ex: IntRange) where one
method uses "(e)" (ex: containsInteger(int)) and the very next method in
the source (containsRange(Range)) does not. This is not so nice, which
is why my personal preference is to use the simpler syntax, which is
clearer IMHO.

FYI, some other classes with mixed usage: JVMRandom, DoubleRange,
NumberRange, FloatRange, etc.

Gary