commons-dev mailing list archives

From Sean Schofield <sean.schofi...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [chain] Configuration idea
Date Thu, 21 Oct 2004 20:13:00 GMT
<snip>

> There has been some interest, but not a lot of commentary on the
> configuration syntax so far.  One thing that is in place (but not well
> documented) is the "define" capability, which essentially lets you
> create aliases for command elements that you might use over and over
> again.  It's used in the unit test cases
> (src/test/org/apache/commons/chain/config/*.xml) but goes like this.
>
> Let's assume you're going to use this lookup mechanism a lot.  So, you
> can create a shortcut for it like this:
>
>  <define name="lookup"
> className="org.apache.commons.chain.generic.LookupCommand"/>
>
> and then, in your actual chain definitions, you can say:
>
>  <lookup name="foobar.chain"/>
>
> Essentially, the implementation creates new Digester rules on the fly.
> Does that help?
>

> Craig

</snip>

I think that's a good solution to Joe's concern.  I haven't taken a
close look at the test cases but I suspect there are plenty of
configuration scenarios that remain untested.  Maybe I will work up
some a additional ones.  Somewhere in the documentation we can point
the user to the test cases as Craig mentions for some examples.

sean

PS. Craig, I liked what you did with the configuration rule sets and
how they use ChainFactory.  The other day when I went to modify
ChainListener to add the catalog to the factory I discovered you
handled it in the rule set.  That was a nice touch!