commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Validator inside of Email.java (RE: [email] Dumbster failing)
Date Tue, 26 Oct 2004 13:26:42 GMT
As a validator committer I'd thought I'd share my 2 cents.  I agree that
validating the email address should be done by the user of [email].  If
the address passed to [email] is invalid, the user will receive a
MessageException just as they would expect from using JavaMail.

Unfortunately, validator's dependency list is quite bloated at the moment
so it would be painful for you to have a dependency on it because it will
drag along a boatload of other components you don't need.  We are working
to correct that but it probably won't be as soon as you'd like :-).

IMO, copy and pasting the validator code into email is a bad idea.  This
code is not stable and you will constantly be in catch up mode.  Not to
mention that coding technique is probably the worst thing a programmer can
do.  I just spent a *long* time deleting approximately 50% of a code base
that now does what it used to do in half the code and half the time.
We're better than this at Apache :-).

Commons projects and Struts chose to get rid of the @author tags for some
of these reasons:
1.  They imply ownership over the code and create a territorial
environment.  This is community owned code and @author tags violate that
spirit.
2.  Apache code lives for many years and well past the original author's
contributions.  Does an @author tag from 10 years ago after major
refactoring of the file still apply?
3.  The source control system (CVS, Subversion, etc) is a more accurate
tracking device for contributions.  Username, date, comments, and release
tags all say much more about a contribution than a simple @author tag.
4.  The project contributors webpage is a good place for publicly
recognizing people's contributions without affecting the code.

David