commons-dev mailing list archives

From Al Chou <hotfusion...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [math] Matrix subMatrix and mean methods
Date Sat, 09 Oct 2004 01:38:41 GMT
--- "Mark R. Diggory" <mdiggory@apache.org> wrote:
> Wolfgang Hoschek wrote:
> > Mark,
> >
> > I am not worried about "fracturing". My understanding is that you
> > wouldn't start doing colt releases build by apache, right? You'd rather
> > take some parts or derivatives of the code and add them to commons-math
> > CVS as you see fit (probably in a significantly refactored/modified
> > form). I thought that was the overall idea, and it seems to me a good one.
>
> We have discussed a "Larger" project at Apache that would be more
> "expansive" than what is currently capable in the "Jakarta Commons".
> Whether or not such a project takes off has been limited more by
> uncertainty of what its "boundaries" would be.
>
> > If all goes well, Colt as an external library could fade into oblivion
> > in a year or two, or whatever time it takes for math to really shape up.
> > That's absolutely fine with me.
>
> Do you suspect that you or CERN will maintain historical archiving of
> the Colt project indefinitely if it did? This is one of the
> characteristics of ASF, we maintain historical CVS and distribution
> archives for all the projects that have existed in Apache. So, if Colt
> moved into Apache, it would have a long term, canonical archival home
> for its existence even if it's contents were integrated into Apache
> Math. If it was not your interest to maintain it any longer, then such
> an option would be beneficial for the both historical referencing and
> reusage.
> >
> > As far as myself as project member/committer: Thanks for the kind
> > invitation, but I'm really busy with other things these days. However, I
> > can be there for you in case you'd have questions about how/why things
> > work "the way they work" in colt. To reach me, please make sure to "cc"
> > me; commons-dev is a high volume mailing list.
>
> Of course, we would enjoy any involvement you can provide. I understand
> your career focus may be in different directions now.
>
> > I have no particular opinion on (A), it's up to you.
> >
> > B) sounds confusing to me as it might indicate to users that they should
> > use that library instead of commons-math. Why have a jakarta level
> > project if all you want is to take some parts or derivatives of it and
> > integrate them in "math"?
> >
> > Regards,
> > Wolfgang.
> >

> Codebases have been donated to Apache Jakarta in the past which maintain
> similar capabilities. For instance, Oro and Apache Regexp were projects
> from different development groups, the code donation was to, in my
> belief, provide a mechanism to merge these projects at a time in the
> future, taking the best of both worlds.
>
> http://jakarta.apache.org/oro/index.html
> http://jakarta.apache.org/regexp/index.html
>
> I do adimately believe we would not want to consider releasing a full
> version of Colt unless you were interested in migrating the entire
> project into Apache, this is what I mean by fracturing, we do not want
> [...]

I agree we should not be releasing Apache versions of the whole Colt library
(which technically wouldn't even be possible, as the hep.aida.* packages are
LGPL'd, not under the the new CERN license).  In any case, the question of the
scope of Commons-Math continually comes up, and the merging in of Colt is yet
another impetus for discussing it.  If we were to include large portions or all
of the CERN-licensed code of Colt, we would be in a position to claim a much
larger scope/charter for the project.  But would we want to?  Some project
members seem very interested in doing so (and I am certainly guilty of such
thoughts), but I don't think it necessarily makes sense.  Commons-Math's
charter is a sound one, and I would not want to alienate/inconvenience users
whose needs are well met by its current scope and charter (assuming there are
any such) by increasing it unnecessarily.  A separate project would probably be
more appropriate if we wanted a larger scope.

Al