commons-dev mailing list archives

From David Graham <grahamdavid1...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: XML Im-/Ex-porter into Commons Sandbox
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 21:37:09 GMT
This will create bloat problems for clients that use Digester.  For
example:  Struts uses Digester for xml parsing.  In the future Struts may
want to use the new i18n component.  However, if i18n uses XML Im-Exporter
then Struts must drag that along too despite already having a perfectly
fine xml parser in its dependency list.

Struts is just one example.  It will be even worse for inter-commons
project dependencies.

Bad dependency management has plagued commons components and it's just
recently started to get better.  If all commons components use Digester
then we can avoid having to duplicate functionality and bloat
dependencies.

I don't understand what's wrong with Digester that necessitates a new
parsing library.  I've been able to write complex parsing rules in a
matter of minutes.

David