commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mfncoo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: XML Im-/Ex-porter into Commons Sandbox
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 22:46:17 GMT
On Thu, 7 Oct 2004 23:27:39 +0100, Stephen Colebourne
<scolebourne@btopenworld.com> wrote:
> One of the key items in the commons charter is allowing different solutions
> to the same problem. So far, we have tended to avoid this (for example, I
> took a conflicting primitives design elsewhere) however we should not block
> this.
>
> What is being requested at this point is to factor out some code from
> another project (Slide) to commons. This is IMHO perfectly good and what
> commons is for. The code is going to the sandbox where we can all determine
> whether it is a good addition to the commons-proper fold. (eg. performance
> tests, code design, documentation). Who knows maybe the ideas will end up as
> digester 2! IMO thats what the sandbox is for.

In general, I agree with you. However, in this case, the reason for
bringing this component to the sandbox is because another component
that has only just arrived in the sandbox (i18n) wants to use it
instead of Digester. It seems that this XML component wasn't going to
be brought to Commons (at least for the moment) until there was
mention that i18n wanted to use it.

I'm not sure that I like the idea of new sandbox components bringing
along other components as baggage when there is already suitable
functionality available in Commons Proper. On the other hand, I would
not be opposed to bringing the XML component in _later_, and letting
it stand or fall on its own.

--
Martin Cooper