commons-dev mailing list archives

From Simon Kitching <si...@ecnetwork.co.nz>
Subject Re: XML Im-/Ex-porter into Commons Sandbox
Date Thu, 07 Oct 2004 22:41:25 GMT
On Fri, 2004-10-08 at 11:27, Stephen Colebourne wrote:
> One of the key items in the commons charter is allowing different solutions
> to the same problem. So far, we have tended to avoid this (for example, I
> took a conflicting primitives design elsewhere) however we should not block
> this.
>
> What is being requested at this point is to factor out some code from
> another project (Slide) to commons. This is IMHO perfectly good and what
> commons is for. The code is going to the sandbox where we can all determine
> whether it is a good addition to the commons-proper fold. (eg. performance
> tests, code design, documentation). Who knows maybe the ideas will end up as
> digester 2! IMO thats what the sandbox is for.

I'll certainly have a look at the code to see how it compares with
Digester. Like some others I am concerned by the large number of
xml->java facilities around (and not just Apache ones), and am not sure
the world needs another one. But I know the Slide team are pretty smart,
so I'm very curious what this alternative "simple" approach is..

> Finally, the name ;-)
> xmlio  (ie. xml io)
> sax
> saxio