commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Stanley <mstan...@mstanley.net>
Subject RE: [email] Please add new build to ibiblio
Date Mon, 04 Oct 2004 12:46:45 GMT
hi,

On Fri, 2004-10-01 at 08:24, Shapira, Yoav wrote:

> Hi,
> Hmm.  Email is a simple component.  If we try to make it more
> complicated, we'd end up with something like [configuration] should have
> had a simple, clean, fast, efficient 1.0 release ages ago but has been
> adding features, refactoring, etc.

I couldn't agree more

> I understand the use case for combining velocity with email, and it's a
> good one, sending all kinds of fancy and flexible templated email
> messages.  But it it's done, it should be a plugin or contrib. module or
> whatever technique you want to apply such that the simple use case
> without velocity is supported without the user having to have velocity
> on the classpath.

I don't know about this.  The Velocity Email (which I have yet to submit
;-), is a single class that extends HtmlEmail.

I will look at what chains did to only build it if velocity is on the
classpath, but I really don't like this idea.  I think it results in
fractioned builds and will cause more confusion in the long run.

Still, adding this class to the email.jar doesn't affect the end user at
all.  They can still use the email classes and jar without having
velocity on the classpath.  However, if they choose to use the
VelocityEmail class they will obviously, need velocity.