commons-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: cvs commit:jakarta-commons/digester/src/java/org/apache/commons/digesterSetPropertiesRule.java
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:04:21 GMT
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 11:50:57 +1200, Simon Kitching
<simon@ecnetwork.co.nz> wrote:
> [snip]
> Are you saying that we could add a switch for "beanutils" or
> "propertyutils" property setting, and that if someone enables the "check
> property exists" feature, that we then force "propertyutils" to be used?

Aren't there two orthogonal issues here?  Checking for missing
properties versus using BeanUtils.setProperties() versus
BeanUtils.populate()?  If we go the configuration route, we should
provide configuration properties for both, with the defaults obviously
set to enable the current behavior.

I would not suggest that we use PropertyUtils.setProperties() for this
rule, because it would give up the very useful conversions that are
performed automatically -- for example, you would never be able to
configure an int or double property from the incoming data, which is
necessarily a String.

Craig