commons-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Perepelytsya <apere...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: commons-lang new StringUtils method submission
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2004 06:36:32 GMT
Hello, Henri.

The WordUtils seems to provide the functionality, but... (again, this
but ;) it addresses a bit different problem. Imagine you have an input
String with newlines already inserted. Then, after running WordUtils
over it, you'll have extra newlines inserted. Then how do you know
where the actual line end is. One way would be to strip away newlines
from input string before processing, but then, if you really wanted to
keep the formatting (e.g. preformatted e-mail). This could lead to
more overloaded methods with myriads of flags.

The submission in question addressed a common need while converting a
legacy application (particularly, when long report descriptions had to
be exported to excel workbooks with more or less fixed columns to fit
on paper).

With certain assumptions WordUtils could work, but it would require
more scaffolding code. And we all know we have commons-lang to handle
all that 'extra' code ;)

Regards,
Andrew