commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: [configuration] Loading and Saving
Date Wed, 08 Sep 2004 14:42:31 GMT
"Eric Pugh" <epugh@upstate.com> writes:

>nulls, and then dump the nulls in the next version.  I wouldn't worry too
>much about backwards compatibilty.  We're at the 1.0 stage, and don't have
>that many users..  I think, as long as we document them, that there are

Don't be too humble. Apache Gump tells us that commons-configuration
has seven direct and 71 (!) indirect dependees on commons-configuration:

http://brutus.apache.org/gump/public/gump_stats/project_dependees.html

So we should try to not upset or the users of 71 projects come
knocking on our mailboxes. (BTW: commons-lang has 28/235 and
commons-collections 73/257. So having a third the user base of commons
lang is IMHO already quite some distribution).

We simply should choose not to put all of our API in stone. I think we
should be willing to guarantee everything that is in the Configuration
interface for a while and the C'tors of the implementations. Apart
from this: All bets are off. :-)

For the matter of the switch: Emmanuel: How do you plan to implement
this?  Additional C'tors taking a boolean? Or a boolean setter?

Personally, I'd still prefer the "two methods for everyone" approach
that Hibernate does. getBoolean(String property) returns null if
property does not exist and fetchBoolean(String propety) throws an
Exception.

	Regards
		Henning

                                    Open Source Software Development"