commons-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Germuska <...@Germuska.com>
Subject Re: [email] Please add new build to ibiblio
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2004 23:58:45 GMT
At 12:54 PM -0700 9/30/04, Martin Cooper wrote:
>  > Hmmm..  Personally, I don't think putting it in a different package is
>>  overkill.  Adding velocity requires the addition of Velocity.jar to
>>  build, but not to run (unless of course, you use the class ;-).
>
>I'd prefer to avoid a required build-time dependency on something like
>Velocity. Better would be to borrow the approach Commons Chain uses,
>and only build Velocity-specific code if the Velocity jar is present.

I'm kind of ambivalent about this approach.  I would be concerned
that you'd be building jars which are supposed to represent the same
artifact but which have different contents based on the build
circumstances.  I guess also since I'm generally accustomed to using
Maven for builds, I don't really see the gain in conditional
compilation, because satisfying dependencies is automatic.

Do you suggest the conditional compilation because you don't want
people to have to bother with the dependency?  Or because you want to
make it possible for people to keep the Velocity dependency out of
their commons-email jar for some reason?

Joe

--
Joe Germuska
Joe@Germuska.com