commons-dev mailing list archives

From robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldon...@blueyonder.co.uk>
Subject Re: [digester] Are performance improvements wanted?
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2004 21:42:21 GMT

On 12 Sep 2004, at 15:46, Phil Steitz wrote:

>> i've been thinking about the problem of proving performance
>> improvements by using unit tests for a while now. i'd really like to
>> be able to be able to create reports about the current performance of
>> library code. maybe it'd be possible to use some kind of
>> normalization to eliminate (or at least reduce) platform specific
>> differences. i'd be interested to hear comments from other folks
>> about this (or ideally, hear about a tool out there which does this
>> ;)
>
> I have not personally used it, but JUnitPerf
> <http://www.clarkware.com/software/JUnitPerf.html> looks like it is
> designed to measure performance changes in unit tests.  It is
> BSD-licensed.
>
> The approach used in o.a.c.beanutils.BeanUtilsBenchCase -- creating a
> separate "microbenchmarks" test case with timing included -- could
> probably also be applied to [digester] and other commons components.
>
> I have no clue how one would go about eliminating platform-specific
> differences. Could be the best we can do is make microbenchmark test
> suites available and set up a place where users can report results on
> different components for different platforms. The Wiki is a natural
> place to report things; but does it support forms well enough to
> organize the results?

i did take a quick look at JUnitPerf a while ago. i haven't been
through it in detail but though it looks like it would work well in a
commercial situation running on a central continuous integration box,
open source development needs something that can run on different
platforms.

i wonder whether it would be possible to calibrate JVM performance
using a series of tests and then use that rating to work out what the
timings should be on different platforms.

- robert