commons-dev mailing list archives

From Mario Ivankovits <ma...@ops.co.at>
Subject Re: [VFS] Is there a different list for the sandbox projects?
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2004 19:37:36 GMT
Andy Lewis wrote:

> I do understand about the native code issue. There are simply a
> limited number of ways to do certain things though. And I believe even
> in the to do list where this is mentioned it specifies that in any
> case, the native code should be completely optional. I could also do a
> fall back to other methods if the native code isn't present - like
> command lines tools for example. If I can get something working, that
> would probably be the best time to check and see what the community
> thinks...say, before it is committed.

I know the original authors of VFS added this to the todo list, but i am
not sure how we should add this to VFS.
VFS tries to abstract as much as it can from the underlaying filesystem
- but this might be nearly impossible in the case of permissions - think
about unix/windows differences in handling of these things.
And even then, it might work only with one kind of filesystem - the
local filesystem.

That said, i can think about a utility-helper-class which do this stuff
- e.g. UnixUtils.setPermission(FileObject, permission)
That way it is not strongly coupled with vfs and we do not have to find
a common abstraction.
It would be nice if you could take a look at jsch and sshd. jsch defines
a SftpAttrs.setPermissions(int) - maybe your "permission" argument could
be compatible with it - then the utility wrapper could set the
permission on two filesystems ;-)

What do you think?

---
Mario