commons-dev mailing list archives

From Andy Lewis <...@ascii27.net>
Subject Re: [VFS] Is there a different list for the sandbox projects?
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2004 18:22:40 GMT
I'm using VFS in an application now at work and there are a number of
things I'd love to do to it. Most of them will be driven by my needs as
much as anything else obviously. But I have no problem helping with
documentation, but my main interests would be with fixing bugs and
adding features. I ran into a problem for example with the cache not
picking up new  files on an FTP site, so I needed to manually force the
cache to clear (I use reflection with setAccessible to get it done
instead of using a modified build though). I can also see value in
additional providers - both those on the list and maybe some that are
not. Again, my time constraints tend to align with my current needs ,
but as an example I have an upcoming need for the ability to modify unix
file permissions from Java (appears it will require native interaction),
and noticed this is something on the list of desired eventual features.

So I guess my main goal was to get in touch with you and get a read on
the status. I'm actually kind of surprised there isn't more community
effort behind this, but I guess everybody is still content using thier
own approach to it. In terms of immeidate contributions, I'd love to get
a patch in to make it easier to avoid the cache problems, and I'm
willing to take a look at anything (bug ot feature) that is deemed
highest priority. And of course as I get the native unix stuff in place,
I'll add that too.

The effort I'll be able to spend on it wil;l, like nearly everyone I'm
sure, fluctuate, but it is a cool project, I use it, and I'm interested
in helping it move forward....