commons-dev mailing list archives

From "matthew.hawthorne" <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [lang] Mutable type casts and MutableNumber
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2004 19:35:57 GMT
Gary Gregory wrote:
> 1st minor: there are a bunch of unnecessary type-casts, I'd like to
> remove those if no one objects. For example, in MutableInteger, this
> cast to long is superfluous:
>
>     public long longValue() {
>         return (long) value;
>     }

That sounds right, perhaps these casts were just an oversight.

> 2nd: There is no MutableNumber class. It seems to me that the mutable
> number classes are paralle to java.lang.Number classes and should
> therefore also be subclasssed from a MutableNumber.

Originally, there was such a class, but after some analysis and
refactoring, it wasn't really doing anything and was nominated for
removal.  However, I understand your point.  If MutableNumber were to be
resurrected, it would serve only as a marker interface.  I'm fine with that.