commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] API changes for RC2
Date Mon, 27 Sep 2004 17:33:10 GMT

getData can stay, it produces a copy of the internal array.

getDataRef is a little spooky.  I might suggest making getDataRef part
of just the RealMatrixImpl implementation and/or making it protected,
requiring users to extend the implementation to use it.

-Mark

Phil Steitz wrote:
> What I meant was, "is it a good idea to remove getData, getDataRef?"
> If we do that, people who want to work directly on the double[][]
> arrays after, say inversion will be SOL.  Maybe names are wrong, but
> we probably need to keep an "export" capability of some sort.
>
> Phil
>
> -----Original Message----- From: Mark R. Diggory
> [mailto:mdiggory@latte.harvard.edu] Sent: Mon 9/27/2004 10:18 AM To:
> Jakarta Commons Developers List Cc: Subject: Re: [math] API changes
> for RC2
>
> Phil Steitz wrote: > Mark, > > I see your point re RealMatrix
> immutability and I now understand (and > agree with, I think) what
> you mean about accessors.  Can anyone else > see reasons why
> matrices should *not* be publicly immutable?  Would > you also remove
> the getData, getDataRef methods? > > Phil >  Sure, I can make these
> changes.  -Mark  -- Mark Diggory Software Developer Harvard MIT Data
> Center http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center