commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] API changes for RC2
Date Sun, 26 Sep 2004 15:51:11 GMT

Phil Steitz wrote:
> The following changes have been suggested recently.  Before cutting 1.0
> final, we should make sure we are all OK postponing or forgoing these:
>
> 1) Eliminate the univariate/multivariate distinction in the stat
> package, because this seems confusing to some.  Change .univariate to
> .descriptive and .multivariate to .regression

Univariate and Multivariate are just "classifications". There is no
suggestion of changing the structure of the packages. Perhaps we can
begin building a "classification outline" now so that we have a better
idea what are the classes of statistics and what we want our naming
scheme to be based on. In the past I've always leaned towards a
classification similar to the mathworld site.

The idea of moving SimpleRegression to a package called "regression" is
a means to classify "regressions" as much as to classify "multivariates"
or "univariates".

o.a.c.math.stat.regression.SimpleRegression
o.a.c.math.stat.univariate.DescripiveStatistics
o.a.c.math.stat.multivariate...

Kim made a critique about the naming. Yet package names have little to
do with the performance of the library. A simple package rename for
clarification prior to release is ok with me as long as it "is clarifying".

[undecided]

> 2) Add methods to create row or column matrices from double arrays and
> to extract submatrices (to the interface itself, rather than adding
> these to a utils class later)

Yes, abstracting the passing the reference to a row, column or submatrix
to an interface provides us a means to generically perform operations on
the matrix independent of the primitive double[] type which cannot be
customized or extended. By passing the interface and not the array
itself we can actually hand around "references" to the original matrix
instead of copies of it. This will be much more efficient for large
matrices and allow us as well to implement the same methods on sparse
matrix implementations which may not actually be stored in an [][]
structure.

[+1]

> 3) Make the PRNG fully pluggable in the random package.

I think the challenge we end up with here is to simply provide an
interface and base implementation that uses the JVM PRNG, if a user
wishes to override the PRNG they simple just implement the interface and
pass the implementation into the class that uses the PRNG. We can also
provide a separate driver implementation based on RngPack and package
that separately as well. If users wish to change the PRNG then they can
pickup the RngPack distro and our driver for it.

[+1]

> 4) Modify Variance and StandardDeviation to compute multiple statistics
> (with the variants being population, rather than sample statistics).

Yes the choice is to decide if these are infact "variants" of the same
statistic or infact separate statistics. I'm not convinced either way at
this point and can see both approaches not deviating from package design.

[Undecided]

> 5) Drop the interface / implementation separation throughout the package.

This sounded more like a complaint about Java itself. The logic behind
this recommendation was unclear to me and totally destroys any
extensibility to the API. Interfaces and Implementation as standard to
Java and necessary for any package to work properly. I might suggest the
argument was more about "Factories" vs using actual constructors to
build the objects, which I would see as a more serious argument
concerning the Packages design.

[-1]

> I am personally -1 on 4) and 5); -0 on 1) and 2); and +0 on 3). I voted
> +1 on the release; however, which means that 3) is a wart that I am
> willing to live with for 1.0.  It can be worked around now and to fix it
> correctly will require that we define a PRNG interface and introduce
> factories, etc.
>
> Mark, since you voted to reopen API discussion, can you weigh in on
> these issues and add any others that you see as show-stoppers?

I felt I could live with these issues unresolved for release 1.0 as
well. Yet it sounded like others did not find it satisfactory. I'm
willing to work on those I voted [+1] on (Matrix Methods, and PRNG
Plugability) to get the packages more satisfactory. I think we should
just implement the Variants of Variance and StandardDeviation as
separate classes and continue any argument concerning what the
appropriate strategy is for them in the future. I would be interested in
assisting in this as well.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory