commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [general] Do we need to support Ant based builds?
Date Sat, 25 Sep 2004 21:39:22 GMT

Martin Cooper wrote:
> A few quick comments:
>
> 1) Not all Commons components are set up for Maven builds, so the
> "just a matter of" doesn't apply in all cases.

This is true, but all Commons projects are required to use Maven to
build the Project's Website. It benefits a Commons project to use Maven
to build and test the distributions and a majority of them do. Do we
have a clear list of the projects that do not at this time?

My earlier point was strictly to bridge this "gap". All projects (Maven
Based) can easily produce an Ant build.xml file using maven's Ant task,
the build.xml file works correctly with Craig's current nightly build
process, so Ant is the common denominator here and this solution is
already "inadvertently" in production. Clearly it works.

> 2) The Commons nightly builds are just one part of the wider Jakarta
> nightly build, and certainly not all Jakarta projects use Maven, or
> are likely to do so any time soon.

True.

> 3) To answer the last question above - yes, we want nightly builds. I
> don't think we want to load up the Apache infrastructure with
> continuous commit-triggered builds for all of the Jakarta projects, or
> even just for Commons components. Having a nightly build gives us a
> predictable load at a known time.
>
> --
> Martin Cooper
>

>>Cheers,
>>Brett
>>

>>Mark R. Diggory wrote:
>>

>>>At least in Maven, the "version" of the dependency is captured in the
>>>metadata of the project.xml file. When the ant build file is generated
>>>off the project.xml file, these dependencies are translated into the
>>>"get" url's to point at the ibiblio maven repository.
>>>
>>>    <get dest="${libdir}/commons-logging-1.0.3.jar"
>>>usetimestamp="true" ignoreerrors="true"
>>>src="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/commons-logging/jars/commons-logging-1.0.3.jar">
>>>
>>>    </get>
>>>    <get dest="${libdir}/commons-discovery-0.2.jar"
>>>usetimestamp="true" ignoreerrors="true"
>>>src="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/commons-discovery/jars/commons-discovery-0.2.jar">
>>>
>>>    </get>
>>>
>>>So, in a sense, maven is already handling the correct dependencies
>>>both in the project.xml and the generated ant build.xml.
>>>
>>>-Mark Diggory

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center