commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [general] Do we need to support Ant based builds?
Date Fri, 24 Sep 2004 16:23:23 GMT
At least in Maven, the "version" of the dependency is captured in the
metadata of the project.xml file. When the ant build file is generated
off the project.xml file, these dependencies are translated into the
"get" url's to point at the ibiblio maven repository.

     <get dest="${libdir}/commons-logging-1.0.3.jar" usetimestamp="true"
ignoreerrors="true"
src="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/commons-logging/jars/commons-logging-1.0.3.jar">
     </get>
     <get dest="${libdir}/commons-discovery-0.2.jar" usetimestamp="true"
ignoreerrors="true"
src="http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/commons-discovery/jars/commons-discovery-0.2.jar">
     </get>

So, in a sense, maven is already handling the correct dependencies both
in the project.xml and the generated ant build.xml.

-Mark Diggory

Craig McClanahan wrote:
> ISTR (but could be wrong) that a Gump instance can be configured to
> use particular versions of particular packages, instead of building
> "latest and greatest" every time.  If so, it might be feasible to
> simulate what I try to do, which is always base the nightly commons
> builds on the latest released versions of its dependencies.
>
> Craig
>

> On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 14:51:33 -0700, Martin Cooper <mfncooper@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 17:00:12 -0400, Shapira, Yoav <yoav.shapira@mpi.com> wrote:
>>
>>>Hi,

>>>Should we start a new discussion thread on getting commons projects
>>>built nightly via Gump @brutus.apache.org?
>>
>>They are already built more often than that by Gump. The issue,
>>though, is that Gump on brutus builds the latest of everything against
>>the latest of everything else. It even builds Ant from scratch. For
>>the nightly builds, we'd want to build the latest Commons components
>>against the latest Commons components, certainly, but we'd want to
>>have a bit more control, I think, over which versions of everything
>>else Gump uses (rather than builds).
>>
>>AFAIK, it's possible to set up a Gump configuration that uses specific
>>versions of dependencies (although that's not really what Gump is
>>for). Perhaps that's what you're referring to, in which case I think
>>this could be a viable solution. Someone would need to take that up
>>with the Gump team, and someone(s) here would need to take care of
>>putting the necessary descriptors together.
>>
>>--
>>Martin Cooper
>>

>>>Yoav
>>>

>>>This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business communication,
and may contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged.  This e-mail

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center
http://www.hmdc.harvard.edu