commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [general] Do we need to support Ant based builds?
Date Tue, 21 Sep 2004 16:37:14 GMT

matthew.hawthorne wrote:
> Henri Yandell wrote:
>
>> We could automate the build.xml generation.
>>
>> Either get it hooked to a cvs commit trigger, or just have a script
>> checking cvs nightly and if build.xml is older than project.xml, it
>> goes ahead and updates.
>

> This may be a good idea, if we have confidence that the generated
> build.xml files are valid.
>
> For projects like [collections] that still use Ant as the primary, it
> seems that this wouldn't fly.

I tend to agree. We just tend to manage it ourselves. Usually if there
is a significant change to the dependencies or classpath information in
the project.xml does the build.xml need to be regenerated. Its really
not such a common event that regeneration would need to occur. If your
the one managing the project.xml, then you usually know when you need to
regenerate the build.xml. At least int he math sub-project is usually
fairly clear to myself, Phil or others when such a regeneration needs to
occur.

As I think about it more, one thought is that it could be part of the
maven.xml configuration for the maven project that if the last-modified
date changes that the build.xml will be regenerated. This could be
"toggled" in the project properties to enable it if the project wishes.
Projects such as collections would leave it disabled.

> Are we all sure that absolute paths are no longer inserted into Maven
> generated build.xml files?

As long as your using the latest 1.0 release.

-Mark

--
Mark Diggory
Software Developer