commons-dev mailing list archives

From Kim van der Linde <...@kimvdlinde.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Math 1.0
Date Mon, 20 Sep 2004 02:19:01 GMT
Phil,

Phil Steitz wrote:

> Kim,
>
> Can you be more explicit?  Most of your objections were addressed in RC1.

Some of my objections were resolved. The matrix stuff was partially
resolved, as is the name of the regression, which is still in the wrong
package. Furthermore, the different types of variances remains unsolved,
as they are variant's of each other and should be in one single class.
And I differ in the basic idea of dealing with regression types (LS, MRA
MA). And I think the random class should be either eliminated (bad
random) or be replaced with something more robust so that is actually
usefull to be used for serious scientific work. Finally, I start
doubting more and more the way most methods are implemented trough
interfaces, which makes less and less sense to me the longer I deal with
them.

I think this is sufficient reason NOT to release it!

Anyway, I encounter more and more programming issues with commons.math,
but I do not report them anymore, because I do not want to go back to
your source code.

I recently made some changes in my Matrix class to reduce the overload
in the methods, such as frequently calling of
getRowDimension/getColumnDimension methods at places where shorter
methods were available. And I probably reduce the overload even further
by defining a rows and a columns variables were the dimensions are
stored in immediatly, reducing the number of length calls (although I
have not really a good feeling yet how much that will do in speed). I
actually am contenplating to make a sister class calles MatrixArray
which does the exact smae things, but is directly double[][] driven.

Furthermore, I have written a PCA module, which is incompatable with
commons.math as it allows both types of variances, just as the
variance-covariance matrix method.

Kim

--
http://www.kimvdlinde.com