commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Kris Nuttycombe" <Kris.Nuttyco...@noaa.gov>
Subject Re: [chain] Pipeline implementation
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 20:23:25 GMT
Hi, Alex,

There is definitely some overlap here, and I think that there's good
potential for collaboration. Our current implementation of the pipeline
can definitely benefit from the per-stage thread pool configuration that
you've done, since right now each one of our stages is still
single-threaded. Adding pooling to increase concurrency within the
stages is something that's been on our drawing board for a while.

The model that we've been using is that stages process data instead of
events, although one could certainly consider an event as a type of
data.  Our stages have to be aware of the  pipelines in which they
reside because our Stage interface defines additional "exqueue(Object
obj)" and "exqueue(String key, Object obj)" methods which are used to
enqueue an object on either a subsequent stage or a keyed pipeline
branch, respectively.

Can you give me a little more information about how you're handling
routing between the stages, or where to look in the source code?

Kris

Alex Karasulu wrote:

>This pipeline stage you describe sounds very much like a SEDA stage;
>seda stage = queue + thread pool + processing code.   Events are queued
>from one stage to another and you can change the way routing is
>handled.  The main difference is we're using these similar patterns to
>build a common framework for highly concurrent inet servers.  Sounds
>like what you're doing is more geared to generic processing piplelines.
>
>Kris and Craig is there any overlap here where we can possibly help each
>other?
>
>One of the biggest problems I have had to date is handling the
>serialization of certain events.  Is this something you have a nice
>solution for?
>
>BTW Craig you spoke about getting together a SEDA package of sorts
>extracted from the directory source.  We're actually in the process of
>doing that.  It's a separate project all together.  It has not been
>integrated into the site yet but the code is present here:
>
>http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/directory/seda/trunk/src/java/org/apache/seda/?root=Apache-SVN
>
>Specifically you might want to take a look at the stage package here:
>
>http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs.cgi/incubator/directory/seda/trunk/src/java/org/apache/seda/stage/?root=Apache-SVN
>
>Alex

Kris Nuttycombe
Associate Scientist
Geospatial Data Services Group
CIRES, National Geophysical Data Center/NOAA
(303) 497-6337
Kris.Nuttycombe@noaa.gov