commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Michael D. Hirsch" <mhir...@nubridges.com>
Subject [VFS and Net] Dealing with non-standard FTP servers
Date Fri, 17 Sep 2004 18:01:07 GMT
Hello,

I'm new to this list, but I've been a happy user of commons-vfs for several
months, now.  It's saved me tons of work, but now I'm running up against what
I think are its limits.  I'm looking for advice on how to get around a
problem.

I am is using commons-vfs to retrieve files from various sites.  In
particular, I'm now trying to get files from a server which is not supported
in the standard collection of FTPFileEntryParsers.

There are several obstacles for me to do this--some are of my own making and
others are in the commons code.  I'll try to separate them out.

The main problem is that even though the server presents non-standard file
lists, it claims to be of system type "unix".  This means that commons-net
will attempt to  parse it like a unix server, and that doesn't work on this
output.

I could define my own FtpFileEntryParser and register it with
DefaultFTPFileEntryParserFactory, but there doesn't seem to be a way to
register new parsers--it appears to be hard coded into createFileEntryParser
in DefaultFTPFileEntryParserFactory.  Even worse, that wouldn't work cause I
can't distinguish this server from a unix server.

Another option is to explicitly pass the FQCN for my new parser into
DefaultFTPFileEntryParserFactory, but there I'm stymied because, AFAICT,
there is no way to pass the FQCN through the vfs layer to the net layer.

I keep hoping that I'm just missing something in the API that lets me tell VFS
what I really want to do at the net layer.  I need to be able to set the FQCN
for the FTPFileEntryParser to use on a given connection.

Does anyone have any suggestions for how to proceed?  I'm not opposed to
changing the vfs or net code if you think the changes would be accepted back
into CVS.

Thanks,

Michael Hirsch