commons-dev mailing list archives

From Reid Pinchback <rei...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [digester] Are performance improvements wanted?
Date Mon, 13 Sep 2004 22:46:13 GMT

--- robert burrell donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> i wonder whether it would be possible to calibrate
> JVM performance
> using a series of tests and then use that rating to
> work out what the
> timings should be on different platforms.

The concept of calibration is tempting, but
I'm not convinced you could readily use JUnitPerf
for it.  JIT activity in the JVM is very sensitive
to the environment of the test.  Imagine trying
to test a memory allocation algorithm using a
test rig that constantly caused virtual memory
page faults.  Not only wouldn't you get very
realistic results, but they'd be very, very
sensitive to platform-specific differences that
the Java performance testing code couldn't
account for.  I haven't kicked the tires on it
yet, but JDK 1.5 has a new profiling API that
might help with this.