commons-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mfncoo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [email] Please add new build to ibiblio
Date Fri, 01 Oct 2004 15:50:11 GMT
On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:58:45 -0500, Joe Germuska <joe@germuska.com> wrote:
> At 12:54 PM -0700 9/30/04, Martin Cooper wrote:
> >  > Hmmm..  Personally, I don't think putting it in a different package is
> >>  overkill.  Adding velocity requires the addition of Velocity.jar to
> >>  build, but not to run (unless of course, you use the class ;-).
> >
> >I'd prefer to avoid a required build-time dependency on something like
> >Velocity. Better would be to borrow the approach Commons Chain uses,
> >and only build Velocity-specific code if the Velocity jar is present.
>
> I'm kind of ambivalent about this approach.  I would be concerned
> that you'd be building jars which are supposed to represent the same
> artifact but which have different contents based on the build
> circumstances.  I guess also since I'm generally accustomed to using
> Maven for builds, I don't really see the gain in conditional
> compilation, because satisfying dependencies is automatic.

It wouldn't be any different from Chain, Logging and DBCP, to name
just a few of the Commons components that do this kind of thing.

> Do you suggest the conditional compilation because you don't want
> people to have to bother with the dependency?  Or because you want to
> make it possible for people to keep the Velocity dependency out of
> their commons-email jar for some reason?

Both. Right now, the discussion is about Velocity. But what if all of
the other folks want in on the act? We'd have dependencies on Struts,
Tapestry, Turbine, Avalon (in its multiple variations), ... Where does
it end?

I'd rather keep such a simple component simple, and let the clients
that want it add the glue that they need where they need it.

--
Martin Cooper