commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Stephen Colebourne" <scolebou...@btopenworld.com>
Subject Re: Port commons-collections to generics under 1.5
Date Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:13:49 GMT
Its unfortunate, but the sourceforge route is the best short term solution
here. Hopefully we can sort a proper solution before you need to go for a
1.0 release.

Where possible, I would suggest that collections15 tries to separate areas
of functionality in the library. The concept of multiple jar files produced
by the same project has been suggested before. BTW, also have a look at the
functor component in the sandbox. So yes, I would be very careful about
including any new code, down the functor line - the existing commons code
should have been a separate project (long history about that BTW, don't
ask...)

Stephen

From: "Chris Lambrou" <mail@chrislambrou.com>
 >Without an apache committer, we would probably have to go with a
 >SourceForge project and then try to migrate it back into commons at some
 >later point.

That's fine by me.  I've signed up for an account and have proposed a
collections15 project.  Let's wait and see whether or not it gets accepted.

 >Would that have to go through the Incubator?

I'm not exactly sure about this.  In principle, yes, but the incubator
is there for trying out new things.  Collections15 isn't exactly new.
It's just a Java 1.5 port of an existing commons project, and it being a
separate project is more of a practical issue.  I guess it's not really
too important - the main thing is having a CVS repository somewhere so
we can both work on it.

 >For what it's worth, I also want to point out the Java Generic Algorithms
 >project (LGPL), which does not have collections implementations, but does
 >have functors well covered, see
 >
>  http://jga.sourceforge.net

Yes, there's plenty of good stuff in there, but it's chiefly about functors,
and I'm not sure that functors belong in a collections project.  To be
honest, I'm not entirely comfortable with the current functors sub-package
in collections.  IMHO, Transformers, Predicates, Closures and Factories
don't really belong in a collections project either.  They should either
belong in commons-lang, or a separate Functors based project of some
description.  Still, Collections is where they lie, so that's where they'll
stay I guess.  One thing that we could do is tidy the contents of
org.apache.commons.collections(15).functors. We could refactor Transformer,
Closure, Factory and Predicate into separate sub-packages of functors, and
fold some of the more general functor ideas from the Java Generic Algorithms
project into the functors base package.  We shouldn't get too far ahead of
ourselves, however.  There's already plenty of work to chew over porting the
existing contents of commons-collections.