commons-dev mailing list archives

From Craig McClanahan <craig...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [general] logging
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2004 19:13:30 GMT
On Fri, 27 Aug 2004 13:03:43 -0400, Alex Karasulu <aok123@bellsouth.net> wrote:

> However I think this issue is one we can resolve if we generalize the
> problem using monitors and event notification.  Logging is just a
> specific application for a monitor. Paul Hammant described this in the
> NoLogging wiki here:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/avalon/AvalonNoLogging

The problem I have with this general approach is that it trades a
dependency on a logging adapter for a requirement to create code that
responds to the individual event handling interface for every single
library I'm using.  The primary benefit of having all the libraries
conform to a common logging API (whatever it is) is *precisely* the
fact that I, as an application developer, don't have to go through
that kind of pain -- I just configure the logging levels and
destinations, using my favorite logging implementation (using a single
log for everything, separate logs for functional areas, requesting the
appropriate amount of detail on a global or local level, or whatever
else I want), and it just works.

My concern can be dealt with by implementing a commone event monitor
API that all the libraries use, so that I can still implement a
generic event listening framework ... but isn't that, in spirit
(although not in the proposed implementation manner), exactly what
commons-logging already does?

Craig