commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Henning P. Schmiedehausen" <...@intermeta.de>
Subject Re: [configuration]Last call for patches
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2004 22:21:24 GMT
Emmanuel Bourg <smanux@lfjr.net> writes:

>Even with a deprecated getVector() method the 1.0 release will not
>become a drop in replacement for the various pre-1.0 snapshots, the
>constructors with a default configuration have disappeared for example
>and some classes have been renamed. I'd prefer a clean 1.0 API and
>encourage people to update their code, if they don't do it now they'll
>do it later for the 1.x or 2.0 release when the deprecated methods are
>removed, why postponing the inevitable ?

Because for the main users of commons-configuration, which are turbine
and torque, with this patch, these _are_ drop in replacements.

I understand your argumentation, as you and Eric are the current main
developers on c-c, feel free to revert the patch; I did check it in
before reading the mailing list, sorry.

I would still vote for a release _with_ the getVector() stuff, because
there are so many commons-configuration-200xyyzzzz versions floating
out there and an 1.0 release with getVector() would give them a
released baseline to work from.

I know about the C'tors, however, the only problematic case I've found
is PropertyConfiguration(String, Configuration), which is used by
older turbine-stratum, but Eric fixed this up for the HEAD.

	Regards
		Henning

                                    Open Source Software Development"