commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [general] logging
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2004 03:36:40 GMT

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004, Simon Kitching wrote:

> On Tue, 2004-08-31 at 13:27, Henri Yandell wrote:
>
> > I'll happily agree that debugging statements in code is very useful
> > (despite the arguments of the IDE debuggers), but I'm unconvinced that
> > released stable binaries should contain the debugging etc. It seems
> > unlikely to be of a lot of use to direct users, and definitely of less use
> > for third-hand users (think developers of Struts trying to navigate
> > through Digester debugging statements).
>
> I vigorously disagree with this statement.

Yes, I walked into this one stupidly, especially as my original email's
example specifically was not trying to target Digester as a place I
disagreed, but the simpler library of BeanUtils.

Apologies for a bad example, I wasn't thinking.

BeanUtils (lots of debugging, but very low level class), HttpClient (6
debug lines), Configuration are some that leap out in my view.

Hen