commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <bay...@generationjava.com>
Subject Re: [IO] IOUtils, etc...
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2004 18:31:14 GMT

Old reason.

There are tools (like Velocity) for which the public constructors are a
lot of help, so after a lot of discussion we've ended on a pattern of
allowing public constructors but slapping big warnings on the javadoc.

If someone mistakenly uses the public constructor to do things, it's not
really going to hurt them too much so the velocity guys win out.

Hen