commons-dev mailing list archives

From Henri Yandell <>
Subject Re: [all] Math needs a "user" email list.
Date Sat, 14 Aug 2004 07:53:26 GMT

On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Mark R. Diggory wrote:

> Henri Yandell wrote:
> >I'd also suggest that 3 months after creating it, Mark would have to
> >justify the creation by showing that community has begun to grow.
> >

> I think math could accept such an agreement. What would be a
> justification, "list activity" above a certain threshold?

Existence of community. No idea how you measure this :) Noise is one,
number of active members would be a better one, but you have to measure
active as people making noise.

Stephen's point about a release is a good one. Get Math 1.0 out, then try
to build community as it sounds like the codebase is ready to be released
and you don't need more mathematical views on it for 1.0.

Maybe you'll find you don't need the separate users list after 1.0 hits
the mirrors.

> >Of course, there is the time honoured method. Start up an external mail
> >list to prove that the community may be built :) or
> >something.
> >

> Seems it would be difficult to keep everything focused around apache in
> such a case.

Very much so. It's a worst case, but can be a way to make things work. I
probably shouldn't have suggested it, even jokingly.

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message