commons-dev mailing list archives

From Michael Becke <be...@u.washington.edu>
Subject Re: [general] logging
Date Tue, 31 Aug 2004 12:17:48 GMT

On Aug 30, 2004, at 11:36 PM, Henri Yandell wrote:

> Yes, I walked into this one stupidly, especially as my original email's
> example specifically was not trying to target Digester as a place I
> disagreed, but the simpler library of BeanUtils.
>
> Apologies for a bad example, I wasn't thinking.
>
> BeanUtils (lots of debugging, but very low level class), HttpClient (6
> debug lines), Configuration are some that leap out in my view.

Just to chime in on HttpClient's behalf...   Debug logging in
HttpClient is quite critical.  Its primary use is as a configurable
"wire" log of all HTTP requests.  We would have little hope of
resolving many user problems without logging.

There have also been some similar discussions of commons-logging on the
HttpClient dev list lately.  In particular a HttpClient user has
recently posted an Ant script for changing all HttpClient
commons-logging statements to log4j.  My preference would be for
different commons-logging jars that are statically compiled against
various logging implementations.  That way a user could pick the jar
that is most appropriate while we develop against a single interface.
I believe this is what Robert suggested earlier.

Mike