commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: log4j SEVERE ThreadDeath in Tomcat 5.0.25
Date Thu, 05 Aug 2004 17:23:04 GMT

Hola,

>i'm not sure i understand what ceki's point is. i can't see that he
>gives any reason for pointing the finger in the way he does. maybe if
>ceki explained how using classloaders as keys effects log4j, i'd see a
>bit better...

The issue is:
- Web application deployed on Tomcat uses log4j via commons-logging
- When said application is restarted (using one of the methods provided
by Tomcat do restart a webapp without restarting the Tomcat server
itself), a java.lang.ThreadDeath exception is thrown when
commons-logging calls a log4j logging function.
- We suspect this exception is thrown by Tomcat because the ClassLoader
used by commons-logging to load the log4j class is invalid.  But it's
still the cache key in the commons-logging cache.  It's invalid because
when restarting a webapp Tomcat provides it with a new set of
classloaders per the Servlet Specification.

>the commons-logging classloader stuff was created IIRC by craig, remy
>and others. i don't feel qualified to second-guess their knowledge of
>servlet containers.

You recall correctly as far as Craig ;)  We're not second-guessing their
knowledge or even their implementation.  But the Tomcat webapp reloading
code has evolved sufficiently since the initial creation of
commons-logging's cache implementation that now the two are not playing
perfectly together.

>i've wanted for a while to use a WeakHashMap so that old classloaders
>who be garbage collected but don't see that there's an easy way to do
>this without breaking compatibility.

What would break if we switched commons-logging to use such a
WeakHashMap instead of the currently used normal HashMap?

Yoav