commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject RE: [all] Math needs a "user" email list.
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2004 19:21:22 GMT
Sorry, but I still am not seeing the need here.  There is very little commons-user traffic
related to [math].  My understanding is that the http-client split was driven by high traffic.
 Commons-dev and commons-user benefit from a large community who comment / make suggestions
on multiple components.  I am opposed to splitting j-c components into separate lists / projects
unless the traffic reaches the "bothersome" level.

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Mark R. Diggory [mailto:mdiggory@latte.harvard.edu]
	Sent: Fri 8/13/2004 11:58 AM
	To: Jakarta Commons Developers List
	Subject: Re: [all] Math needs a "user" email list.

	>On Fri, 13 Aug 2004, Mark R. Diggory wrote:
	>
	>
	>
	>>> Would it be wise to establish a Jakarta Math project outside of commons
	>>> to support these sort of listserv interactions with users, even though
	>>> its unclear what code would be housed there? Or should we only start a
	>>> parent project if we have non-commons specific code to add to it and
	>>> just creat a email list specific for math users? I'm not sure what would
	>>> be the best approach.
	>>>
	>>> -Mark
	>>
	>>
	>
	>I'd suggest going to the commons-math-user mail list, and seeing what
	>happens. If the community grows, then we can go in the direction the
	>community's makeup suggests.
	>
	>Hen

	+1, Following a path similar to HttpClient.

	> Phil Steitz wrote:
	>
	>I agree with Henri on this -- I do not see the need at present and I would like to keep
commons-user (which is not that high traffic, actually) consolidated.  People can easily filter,
as they can on commons-dev as well.

	>Phil

	Phil, Its unclear to what your agreeing? Hen was +0. Your comment sounds
	like your not wanting it (ie -0).

	I strongly think the reason that commons-user is low traffic is that
	users do not want to get email for stuff they are not interested in nor
	do they want to manage complex filter rules on their email, so they
	never join it.

	Believe me, I've worked IT support for university professors, sometimes
	I'm very surprised they even know what an email account is...let alone
	filtering.

	-Mark

	--
	Mark R. Diggory