commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Phil Steitz" <p...@steitz.com>
Subject RE: [math] Fwd: Re: Median in stats
Date Thu, 12 Aug 2004 20:47:58 GMT
I agree that this looks interesting.  The link below is to an authenticated site.  Can you
(David) provide a full reference to the paper?

Phil

	-----Original Message-----
	From: Mark R. Diggory [mailto:mdiggory@latte.harvard.edu]
	Sent: Thu 8/12/2004 1:31 PM
	To: David Aubespin; Jakarta Commons Developers List
	Subject: [math] Fwd: Re: Median in stats

	I think we would be very interested in such an approach. I'll forward
	this onto the list so others may know about it.

	Here's one of the authors:
	http://tigger.uic.edu/~gib/vit.htm#Statistics

	Their paper:
	http://www.jstor.org.ezp2.harvard.edu/view/01621459/di985983/98p0207b/0?config=jstor&frame=noframe&userID=80673cc8@harvard.edu/018dd5533b005013e31f0&dpi=3

	David Aubespin wrote:

	> Hi,
	>
	> I have an implementation of a median computation based on the Remedian
	> algorithm (a paper had be published in 1990 about it).  Its main
	> advantage is that it takes up a fixed amount of memory regardless of
	> the data sample size (very useful when dealing with large datasets
	> like in astronomy).
	>
	> I was wondering if I could contribute it to the Math project.
	>
	> Let me know,

	thanks,
	Mark

	--