commons-dev mailing list archives

From "matthew.hawthorne" <ma...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [resources] An interesting problem
Date Fri, 27 Aug 2004 20:12:26 GMT
James Mitchell wrote:
> I want my test classes to reuse this same test code, but I don't know what
> the best approach is.  I don't want to copy/paste the existing code because
> I don't care to maintain the same code in 2 places.  However, I can't simply
> reference the jar.....because there is no jar, they are just test classes.
>
> What would you do?

Create a jar containing the test classes.  If other projects depend on
these tests, then
they are a valid artifact produced by the project and no longer "just
test classes".

I run into this situation frequently when I have one component which
defines a set of
interfaces, and also tests for these interfaces.  Then, I have another
component which implements
the interfaces, and the tests need to reference the interface tests.

So, I'm in the habit of producing test jars along side the normal ones.
  [collections] does something
similar to this.