commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] Only sample variances?
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2004 02:27:54 GMT
Yes, at the UnivariateStatistic level, these would need to be new
classes. My question as well is "Does it apply as well to higher order
moments?"

Maybe we should place everything into the following packages:

o.a.c.m.stat.univariate.moment.sample
o.a.c.m.stat.univariate.moment.population

-Mark

Phil Steitz wrote:

> Kim van der Linde wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just looked through the variance class, and saw that
>> it only supports sample vasriance (N-1) but not
>> population variances (N). Any reason for this, and can
>> it be added?
>

> It would probably be better to add this to one of the aggregates or
> StatUtils or to add a new statistic altother. This is because a
> UnivariateStatistic can only report one value. The most commonly used
> (at least in statistical applications) value for Variance and Standard
> Deviation is the sample statistic, which is why that is what the
> statistics named "StandardDeviation" and "Variance" report. From a
> user's perspective, its not too hard to convert; but I agree that it
> would be convenient to add these. Probably best to make new statistics
> in the moment subpackage called "PopulationXxx".  Patches welcome ;-)
>
> Phil
>

>> Cheers,
>>
>> Kim

Mark Diggory