commons-dev mailing list archives

From "Mark R. Diggory" <mdigg...@latte.harvard.edu>
Subject Re: [math] Random generator
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2004 02:20:13 GMT
This kinda brings us back full circle, I remember back when we started
talking with Paul Houle about possibly donating the RngPack codebase to
Math. He had agreed on some levels, but we never approached Licensing
with all the legal issues. Mostly, he relicensed the entire thing under
a BSD style license and said he'd be glad to relicense it under apache
if necessary. But I don't think he was motivated to push this through, I
think its something we would have to take responsibility for working out
the details of.

http://www.honeylocust.com/RngPack/

-Mark

Phil Steitz wrote:

> Kim van der Linde wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I just digged in and found that you use the standard
>> random generator of SUN. Is that an inproved version
>> of the 1.0.2 version, which is a very very basic
>> pseudo-pseudo-pseudo random generator. Any help?
>

> Yes, it would be great to include some additional PRNGs as part of
> [math].  If you have (unencumbered) robust implementations with good
> performance or are interested in developing them, I think this would
> make a good addition to [math].  The current implementation of the
> RandomData interface supports pluggable generators for the secure
> methods (using the SecureRandom support for that) and also encapsulates
> the getRandom() method that is used everywhere to get a PRNG, so it
> would be easy to plug in alternative PRNGs.
>

>> Kim

Mark Diggory
Software Developer
Harvard MIT Data Center